Re: wsdl test files and licensing

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: wsdl test files and licensing
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 15:42:04 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> I wasn't sure if these documents can be distributed at all, so I kept
>> the test suite private, instead of adding it to the public repository
>> which hosts soap-client.el.
>
> That's perfectly smart, but it would be nice if we could get a public
> test suite together.  And that will more likely than not requiring
> mailing the respective people for disclaimers and/or recreating relevant
> stuff from scratch when the respective permissions cannot be acquired.

Well, the situation is even a little bit more complicate. Most of the
SOAP servers offer their wsdl files at a well known url(*). I believe,
the soap-client test suite keeps the wsdl files locally for being able
to run offline tests, and also for consistency (results might change
when the wsdl changes).

In order to circumvent the license problem, one could run the tests
using wsdl files from their origin, downloading from the server. The
files wouldn't be distributed with Emacs. But one would loose the
advantages I've sketched above.

(*): One prominent exception are the debbugs servers. But Debbugs.wsdl
     used in the test suite is GPLv3 licensed :-)

Best regards, Michael.