Re: Fixing repository conversion errors.

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Fixing repository conversion errors.
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:27:34 +0100 (CET)

["Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> (2014-11-13 11:43:08 UTC)]

> (b) Probably about four hours of repo downtime. It won't be ten this time
> because I don't have to do another full conversion, just edit a pulled copy,
> repack it, and upload it.

Is that really necessary? I would have thought you could create a new
branch with the fixed commit messages. It should sprout off the master
branch not too far in the past. Push the new branch to the server.
Then just rename branches on the server, so the new branch will be
master. Then all the developers will have to rewind the master branch
(and origin/master) in their own clones to the latest good commit, and
do a pull. No need for a full reclone, I think.

If the problem affects more branches than just master, this might not
be much of a simplification, however.

– Harald