Re: This Is The Git Help Mailing List

From: Paul Eggert
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 09:24:49 -0800

On 11/13/2014 08:20 AM, Karl Fogel wrote:
(cue our usual ISO-standard discussion
of about why we version change data in files instead of solely in commit
logs, of course, but that is another matter).

The ChangeLog-vs-commitlog business slowed me down within my first couple of commits to the git repository for Emacs. It's only a minor annoyance, but it is an annoyance. As I recall there was consensus to wait for a bit after the transition and then change our ChangeLog practice so that the ChangeLog is derived automatically from the git commit log. Other GNU projects do that (coreutils, for example) and Emacs could surely do the same.