Re: Include necessary git tools in the Emacs distribution?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Include necessary git tools in the Emacs distribution?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 17:13:35 +0100

> To use git for Emacs development, you really kinda need
> merge-changelog and git-new-workdir. [...]

These are development tools not related to Emacs in particular, so why
should they be bundled with Emacs? (Reminds me of early versions which
bundled a C preprocessor ...)

> Anyway, I don't think it makes much sense to make Emacs developers
> hunt around for these things themselves when it's something that's
> needed if you don't want to go insane while hacking Emacs.

Gentoo has dev-vcs/git-merge-changelog as a package. However, it would
certainly help if it was packaged upstream, without the need to first
extract it from gnulib.

Ulrich