Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 19:23:04 +0200

> From: Michael Welsh Duggan <address@hidden>
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 12:03:43 -0500
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:46:20 +0100
> >> Cc: address@hidden
> >>
> >> I'd be much easier if you used git new-workdir.
> >
> > Which Git versions are safe to use with this?  What are the caveats?
> > (I presume there are caveats, since you said on several occasions that
> > "it is being worked on".)
>
> Looking at the shell script, what it does is create the new work
> directory and a .git dir within it, and then symbolically links all
> important files/directories from the original repository's .git
> directory into the new .git dir, using ln -s.  The HEAD link is copied
> rather than symlinked.

Yes, I've read the script (before asking ;-).

> So, from Windows this will probably work if "ln -s" does something
> reasonable and all the underlying stuff your version of git uses deals
> with symlinks properly.  (This wasn't always a reasonable assumption
> under Windows in the past.  You would know better than me what the
> current state of symlinks on Windows is.)

I wasn't asking about Windows.  It is clear to me by reading the
script that using that on Windows is a bad idea, because symlinks are
(a) only supported since Vista, and (b) require to run the script "As
Administrator".  (And then there's a known caveat of removing the
symlinked directory that actually removes the target, if you aren't
careful to use rmdir.)

No, I was asking in general about potential problems, since Andreas
said several times that the feature is being improved.