Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 22:04:21 +0000

Hello, Andreas.

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 09:52:37PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> > Hello, Andreas.

> >> git log --decorate

> > This doesn't work very well.  It prints out the information for the first
> > commit that is displayed, but no more.  This feels like a git bug.

> No, this is the correct behaviour.

So, not very useful, then.  Also not what the FM says:

    "Print out the ref names of any commits that are shown."

.  Not one commit, but any (i.e. all) commits.  Of course, that's all
dependent on knowing what "ref name" means.  I suppose you're going to
tell me next that only the first commit actually has a "ref name"
(whatever that is).  But if you do, it would be really nice if you could
explain what is meant by "ref name", or even point me at a non
content-free definition.  :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).