Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: David Caldwell
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:40:47 -0800

On 11/14/14 3:02 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I want to see all recent commits together, each one annotated with
> which branch it's on.  That's surely not too much to ask for.  I want
> annotation, not filtering.

Git really doesn't have that exact feature (as far as I know). You can
get something similar with "git log --all --graph --decorate=full" which
will show you the graph so you can see which commits end up on what
branches. I find the graph format is better seen with "--oneline", but
it works with more verbose log formats (including -p).

Again, it might be worth you time trying to get tig[1] or gitk to work
on your system—they both have nice visualizations of the repo dag.

-David

[1] http://jonas.nitro.dk/tig/
A screenshot comparing the graphs of tig and gitk:
http://jonas.nitro.dk/tig/screenshots/rev-graph.png