Re: need help adjusting workflow to git (or vice versa)

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: need help adjusting workflow to git (or vice versa)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 21:08:22 -0800

Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:

>>> From what I understand from here
>>>
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-01/msg00790.html
>>>
>>> and subsequent comments you have to make a spearate clone.
>>
>> You can also use git new-workdir (not yet part of the git core, a proper
>> replacement is being worked on).
>
> I would be very surprised if either of these approaches is used by most
> developers using git, because if so, I'd have expected them to be part
> of the standard toolkit and well documented.  So I think my workflow is
> suboptimal for git.  What do people who have several branches of a
> single project repository and want to build from one of them without
> including changes from another in the build usually do?  Isn't that a
> common scenario, especially for Emacs developers?  What do you people do?

I usually just "git co <other-branch>" since it's very fast. If I have
outstanding changes, I either first check them into a temporary branch
(cheap), or use git stash.

If I need to have the two versions visible at the same time, I'll either
clone the repository in another directory as suggested, or simply copy
my git directory to another. Note that either of these are a great idea
when experimenting with new git functionality. If you mess up, just
delete the copy/clone.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/