Re: Switching from old git tree

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Switching from old git tree
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 10:18:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Kenneth Raeburn <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 03:43:05 -0500
>>
>> After creating your "main" clone of the new upstream repository,
>> clone *that* one locally (use the "-s" option to save disk space)
>
> Careful: kids are listening!  The -s option to clone has a caveat on
> its man page, which, to me sounds as "Kids, don't try this at home!"

-s does not save disk space over the default _unless_ your local clone
happens to be on a different file system.  There is little reason to
keep local clones on different file systems, however.  On the same file
system, the normal git clone operation uses hard links, and those are
unproblematic regarding the given caveat.

--
David Kastrup