Re: git pull fails with merge conflicts. How can this possibly happen?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: git pull fails with merge conflicts. How can this possibly happen?
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:15:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> At times, I have a distinct feeling that Someone(TM) made a conscious
> effort to confuse me by picking up a different semantics.

That's because Git was designed as a "stupid content tracker". The in
this thread often mentioned "Git Pro" book says it right up front: "Git
thinks of its data more like a set of snapshots of a miniature
filesystem" [1]. You really have to fully embrace that notion to get
comfortable with Git (to a certain degree...).

>> [1]  Granted, submodules *are* hard; it's not just that tree is
>> generalized to array of tree-or-blob-or-commit, but that commits also
>> change semantics when used in submodules.  But we're not talking about
>> submodules in Emacs yet.
>
> I think we are, in the ELPA related discussions.  But maybe I'm
> confused about that, too.

Submodules would be an option if each package we want to bundle with
Emacs was in its own repository. However, since they are all in
elpa.git, I don't think it makes much sense to import it as a submodule,
especially since this introduces a lot of additional complexity into the
workflow.

-David

[1] http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-Git-Basics