Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 11:04:06 -0500

> So, with bzr, we could pretty easily commit only the meta-data of
> skipped commits, so that they were regarded as merged.  But being the
> stupid content tracker that Git is, I think that ship has sailed.

AFAICT, there is no difference between Git and Bzr in this respect.

> We can of course cherry-pick a commit with the 'ours' merge strategy,
> but that will of course change the SHA1...

bzrmerge.el does not cherry-pick and neither should gitmerge.el.
It should identify those commits that are "backports" (or similar) and
merge them with the `ours' strategy (which will indeed leave the files
unchanged while affecting the metadata, AFAIK).

        Stefan