Re: A simple git workflow for the rest of us

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: A simple git workflow for the rest of us
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 18:08:12 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Setting up and using git for normal, simple bugfixing
>>
>> If you haven't configured git before you should first do:
>>
>> git config --global user.name "Frank Chu"
>> git config --global user.email "address@hidden"
>>
>> Initial setup
>> =============
>>
>> Then we want to clone the repository.  We normally want to have both
>> the current trunk and the emacs-24 branch.
>>
>> mkdir ~/emacs
>> cd ~/emacs
>> git clone <membername>@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git
>> mv emacs trunk
>> ./trunk/admin/git-new-workdir trunk emacs-24
>> cd emacs-24
>> git checkout emacs-24
>
> I don't think these 2 sections should be in the document.  If you
> like, we can add a reference to the Wiki here, which explains this in
> more detail.

I just wanted a single, simple thing somebody who's unfamiliar with git,
and who doesn't care about git, could cut and paste.  I always like it
when projects have instructions, starting from scratch, in one single
place.

>> cd ~/emacs/emacs-24
>> git cherry-pick 958b768a6534ae6e77a8547a56fc31b46b63710b
>
> I think we should decide whether we want to use -x here.

   -x
           When recording the commit, append a line that says "(cherry picked
           from commit ...)" to the original commit message in order to
           indicate which commit this change was cherry-picked from.

Oh, yeah, that seems nice.

>> git commit --amend
>>
>> and add "Backport:" to the commit string.
>
> Why not use "cherry-pick -e" instead?

Yes, that's probably easier.  I thought it may confuse the user less if
it's done in two steps (first cherry-pick the change, which may or may
not work), and then do the commit amendment.  But it may be less
confusing to do both things in one step...

Feel free to amend the document.  >"?