Re: git apologia [was: git pull fails with merge conflicts. ...]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: git apologia [was: git pull fails with merge conflicts. ...]
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:47:39 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
>> Cc: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:26:19 +0100
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > MMDNV.  But the point is that I need either forget about "git diff"
>> > and switch to "git show" entirely, or use the former as replacement
>> > for the "-c COMMIT" use case, and the latter for the others.  IOW, one
>> > more thing to re-learn, that won't serve me with any other VCS.
>>
>> You still need git diff for showing the changes in your work tree
>> wrt. HEAD, or the index.
>
> Right.  Which is why I only use show after a commit before a push.

My most common use is

git show <commit-SHA1>:VERSION

since LilyPond keeps its current version number in ./VERSION.  That way,
once I figure out that commit <commit-SHA1> was responsible for fixing a
particular bug, I can then post "this was fixed in version xx.xx.xx with
commit
<copy-and-paste of the commit portion of git show <commit-SHA1>>
"

--
David Kastrup