Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 21:45:22 +0000

Hello, Florian.

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 08:40:09PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Alan Mackenzie:

> > This doesn't work very well.  It prints out the information for the first
> > commit that is displayed, but no more.  This feels like a git bug.

> Git does not record the branch on which a commit was made.

But as I understand it, the head of each branch is identified by a
pointer, and all previous commits are in a chain starting at this
pointer.  So git should know which branch each commit is on.  Why can it
not display this information?

> It's sometimes recorded in merges, but only in the free-text commit
> message.  For fast-forward merges (without a separate merge commit),
> there is no trace that development of certain commits happened on a
> separate branch.

> gitk can show precedes/follows information for tags, though.
> Depending on the project's history, this can be quite useful.  (I have
> not seen a command line tool which does the same thing.)

I'll get gitk working sometime.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).