Messing with the VC history

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Messing with the VC history
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 07:17:05 +0100

To welcome my first commit to Emacs, some people complicated the VC
history with unnecessary noise burying the happy event into a
merge-fest.

This is my guess about what happened:

In d409545 I pushed my change to master.

In 9075fcc Stefan merged emacs-24 into his local `master' branch but...

when he tried to push the merge it was rejected because of my change. He
proceeded to pull, a conflict was found on a Changelog file (of course!)
and he resolved it, which created a merge (1a71302). Stefan pushes both
merges to master.

Then on bc5d86f another actor enters (Jay Belanger) that pushes a merge
to master (bc5d86f) with the commit message

"Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs"

I guess that this merge was generated by a `pull'. Now we have a merge
(emacs-24 into master) within a merge (Stefan's) within a merge (Jay's).
This can continue indefinitely, creating an spaghetti-like history graph
that no ultra-wide monitor could display.

IMO we should encourage people to use fetch+rebase instead of `pull',
reserving merges for logically-related changes that comprise multiple
commits.

(I'll not dare to ask why, mysteriously, the emacs-diffs mailing list
abstained from mentioning my commit.)