Re: git apologia

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git apologia
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 20:38:21 +0200

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 19:20:51 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > No, bzr shows the merge-commit on the mainline, with a normal
> > (i.e. non-dotted) number.  Only the commits on the branch from which
> > we merged are skipped by default by "bzr log".
>
> And how is that different from the counting of HEAD~n?

The merge-commits don't show using HEAD~n.

Here's an example.  With the current trunk, the 10th and 11th entries
shown by "git log" are for merge-commits made by Stefan.  But if I
type

  git show HEAD~10

I see the 12th commit, the one by Oscar.  And HEAD~9 is the one before
the two Stefan's commits.

By contrast, with bzr I do see merge-commits as if they were mainline
commits:

  bzr log -c-12
  118349: Glenn Morris 2014-11-10 [merge] Merge from emacs-24; up to 117702

Am I doing something wrong?