Re: A simple git workflow for the rest of us

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: A simple git workflow for the rest of us
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 11:33:37 -0800

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
>> You edit the files in either branch, `M-x vc-dir', and check in your
>> changes.  Then you need to push the data to the main repository.  This
>> will usually fail, since somebody else has pushed other changes in the
>> meantime.  To fix this, say
>>
>> git pull --rebase
>
> When working with upstream this is good practrice, but if you're going
> to do that anyway, just configure your branch with "rebase = true".  Or
> configure "autosetuprebase = true" on a repo-wide or global basis so Git
> will do that by default (you can always change that later of course).

That's pull.rebase = true.

Also, do you mean branch.autosetuprebase = always?

I'd second setting it globally to ensure that it happens universally to
avoid the spurious merge commits that otherwise ensue.

Specifically, how does one make a configuration setting that applies to
everyone who clones the repository? Would that setting appear in
emacs/.git/config or elsewhere?

The git config man page says this:

           NOTE: this is a possibly dangerous operation; do not use it unless
you
           understand the implications (see git-rebase(1) for details).

Does our global setting of pushNonFastForward mitigate these concerns?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/