Re: [RFC] Correctly handling MinGW-w64

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [RFC] Correctly handling MinGW-w64
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:59:47 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>>> into ms-w32.h or into some other header specific to Microsoft Windows?
>> We don't have a header that is included by all the .c files, right?
>
> Every .c file includes stdbool.h, string.h, and stdlib.h, via
> conf_post.h.  If none of those serve, you can include whatever file
> you like (stdio.h, say), in ms-w32.h or something like that.

Doing that is a kludge. At some point on the future someone will change
how some of those files are #included (or remove them altogether). It is
fundamental that the MINGW_W64 define is guaranteed to be visible
everywhere. If we are using MinGW-w64 and some file checks MINGW_W64 but
has not it in scope, chances are that the build will carry on but things
will break in subtle ways at run time.

> There shouldn't be any need to bother 'configure' about this.

I thought that this type of tasks are the raison d'être of `configure'.