Re: Network security manager

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Network security manager
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:00:58 -0500

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 09:17:19 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Feature branch or emacs-24 please.  It should be applicable to
>>> emacs-24, and the maintainers have requested we work against emacs-24 in
>>> those cases, forward-porting the changes into master.
>> I don't think emacs-24 is supposed to receive new features, only bug
>> fixes.

SM> Indeed.  I could consider including it in a 24.5 release because it's
SM> a somewhat important issue, but it would have to be "obviously safe"
SM> (in the sense of "won't break anything").  That sounds fairly unlikely.

I don't know how complicated it will be internally, but I don't think it
will endanger any existing functionality (except TLS connections, of
course). The only reason for it in 24.x is to add reasonable certificate
handling so we can turn on certificate verification by default. I don't
think it can be done otherwise without seriously damaging the user
experience.

Would you rather not make those changes in 24.x?

Ted