Re: [RFC] Correctly handling MinGW-w64

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [RFC] Correctly handling MinGW-w64
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:34:07 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:04:31 +0100
>>
>> > Sounds like some Binutils problem.  Can you invoke the resulting
>> > binary from the cmd.exe command line?
>>
>> No:
>>
>> $ src/temacs.exe
>> bash: src/temacs.exe: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
>>
>> Doing the same from cmd.exe results on the OS showing a fancy banner
>> that says that this application can't run on my Pc, which I interpret as
>> the user friendly way of saying the same as bash says.
>
> I suggest to take this up with MinGW64 developers.

Think that the MinGW64/MSYS2 developers know the issue. There is an
emacs-git build recipe in MSYS2 with no corresponding binary package,
because the build fails.

Right now the emacs master build finished correctly on Windows XP 32
bits with MSYS2 with the same binary packages as the Windows 8.1 64 bits
with MSYS2 64 bits, where the temacs.exe problem happens. It seems that
there is something on MSYS2 64 bits that affects how temacs.exe is
created. I'll mention this data point on the MSYS2 ml.