Re: Network security manager

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Network security manager
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 15:54:34 +0100

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> or if you want to start from the tip of your current upstream emacs-24
>>> (from the most recently fetched tip):
>>>
>>>   git checkout -b NEW_BRANCH origin/emacs-24
>>
>> Please note that this sets origin/emacs-24 as the upstream branch of
>> NEW_BRANCH, which is something you don't want to do when creating a
>> feature branch.
>
> This isn't fully clear to me yet.  Can you add information about the
> pitfalls of doing so?

If a local branch has an associated upstream branch, that's used as the
default when pushing changes. On this case this is not what the OP
wants, because he intends to push changes to a new upstream branch (that
is created the first time he pushes to "origin"), not to
origin/emacs-24.

> What would advice doing, then?

Using a git front end that implements sane defaults and shows you the
context you are working on (such as Magit) ;-)