Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:22:17 +0100

On Tuesday 18 November 2014 09:59:23 Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:45:44 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
wrote:
> >> An even better solution would be to generate the ChangeLog automatically
> >> from the git commit log, as is done in several other GNU projects.
>
> SM> Agreed.
>
> What's blocking that?  Just code or are you/we waiting for something
> after the Git migration?

I guess it makes sense to wait until everything has settled from the Git
migration.  Not introducing too many changes to the workflow at once.

So far it seems the major argument against generating ChangeLogs from commit
messages was, that the files can be easily edited and fixed.  I'm not sure how
this can be addressed.  Git's tools to edit commit messages (history) are
sadly destructive and not transparent.  The support for git-notes(1) seems to
be rather poor.  I guess we have to look at how other projects have solved
this.

Anyway, there is a gitlog-to-changelog script in Gnulib as well.  We might be
able to use that.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=build-aux/gitlog-to-changelog

Regards,
Rüdiger