Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:33:08 +0200

> From: Sergey Organov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:59:51 +0300
>
> My point is that once you send "branch" to a Git command

You don't send a branch to Git commands, you send the branch's
_label_, or _name_.  Let's distinguish between the thing and its name,
okay?

> Git itself has no "branches" that are "active lines of development"
> in its data model.

Git might not have it, but we its users do.

> Understanding this makes it clear why you need to say something like this:
>
> $ git log --source emacs-24 origin/master

What's to understand? a branch name in this context represents its
last commit, a.k.a. "tip".  That's all.  Why are you trying to make
this more confusing than it should be?

>        --source
>            Print out the ref name given on the command line by which each
>            commit was reached.
>
> Please notice no "branch" in the description of the "--source"

I'd suggest not to treat Git docs as a kind of "holy scripture" whose
exact wording has any magic meaning beyond what meets the eye.  Don't
look for some deep meaning in the words used there, because more often
than not there isn't any.

> Kinda like "everything is a buffer" in Emacs.

But everything is not a buffer in Emacs.  There are other objects as
well, most of them quite different from buffers.