Re: Network security manager

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Network security manager
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:40:33 -0500

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:28:26 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
LMI> 1) Drop certificate checking for images in shr.  I mean, do we care?
>>
>> I think we care.

LMI> What are the security implications of inserting an image from a source
LMI> we can't validate?

Malicious binary payloads in images are quite common.  There are also
attacks/exploits/hacks that load Javascript from images.  Regardless,
you'd be lowering the security level of the data exchange.

LMI> 99% of the images aren't over TLS, anyway, and aren't validated...

OK, but that's not relevant to the above :)

LMI> 2) If being run from the async context (how do we check for that?),
LMI> refuse to handle insecure TLS connections silently.
>>
>> Works for me, as long as the errors are reviewable in the NSM.  I should
>> be able to go somewhere and hit a button "allow this cert from now on".

LMI> shr should really insert "broken image" markers into the buffers (and
LMI> broken images and then get queried about the certificate
LMI> interactively...

OK with me, that's a good solution for this particular case.  But there
will be others where you can't see the things that went wrong in the
background.  I suggested a modeline indicator previously... it's better
than silent failure, right?

LMI> Which reminds me: We need a way to determine that Emacs is running
LMI> non-interactively as well as being run from an async context.  What's
LMI> the way to do that?

I know in non-interactive mode the minibuffer reads from stdio, so
there's definitely some distinction for batch mode. But I don't know how
to distinguish it in ELisp or check the async mode, sorry.

Ted