Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 20:53:56 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:40:51 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Regardless, the concept of "branch" as a separate line of development
> > is not killed by Git.  It's just that a branch can be named by its
> > tip, and vice versa.
>
> A local branch is slightly more than its tip: you can be "on" a branch,
> and if you commit then, the tip is advanced.  In contrast, a
> remote-mirroring branch is indeed not more than its tip: checking it out
> gives you a detached HEAD.  Committing does not change the branch tip.

That's all true, but it again refers to how a branch is labeled or
specified.  By contrast, I'm talking about a "branch of development",
if you like: the series of commits made on a branch.  For that, it
doesn't matter whether the branch is local or remote, or if I can or
cannot change it by committing.

Really, this whole discussion sounds like a chapter from the immortal
"Alice", remember?

    “[...]The name of the song is called “HADDOCKS’ EYES.”‘

    ‘Oh, that’s the name of the song, is it?’ Alice said, trying to
    feel interested.

    ‘No, you don’t understand,’ the Knight said, looking a little
    vexed. ‘That’s what the name is CALLED. The name really IS “THE
    AGED AGED MAN.”‘

    ‘Then I ought to have said “That’s what the SONG is called”?’
    Alice corrected herself.

    ‘No, you oughtn’t: that’s quite another thing! The SONG is called
    “WAYS AND MEANS”: but that’s only what it’s CALLED, you know!’

    ‘Well, what IS the song, then?’ said Alice, who was by this time
    completely bewildered.

    ‘I was coming to that,’ the Knight said. ‘The song really IS
    “A-SITTING ON A GATE”: and the tune’s my own invention.’