Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:48:18 -0500

On Nov 18, 2014, at 10:43 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>You must also admit that git is at fault here for misusing common words.
>A "branch" in English is not and cannot mean a "tip of a branch".  Yet
>git has twisted the language such that this has become its meaning.  And
>any cultured person must suppress his revulsion at such abuse as part of
>the cost of learning git.  YUCK!

I would concur.  For someone with decades of $vcs experience, I think the
subtly (and sometimes not-so-) differences in terminology, which translates to
non-obvious cli behavior is the biggest impediment to drinking the git
kool-aid.  OTOH, it's also true that if you use primarily git for long enough,
you lose the beginners mind and just sort of accept the differences.  Aliases
can help. :)

Cheers,
-Barry