Re: Network security manager

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Network security manager
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:23:19 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> I mean that EWW's visual indicators of identity and trust should be
> global. Then you don't interrupt the user (they get cranky!) but show
> them a visual indicator that something requires their attention. I can't
> think of a better place that works in graphical and text modes and has
> the precedent of embedded infobar-style buttons than the modeline.

Oh, I see.  I misunderstood you completely; sorry.  >"?

That does sound attractive...  eww would put an icon into the mode line,
and then the user could click it to answer the query.  A kind of "an
action is needed" thing.

> Furthermore, I think it would make sense to use the same indicators for
> GnuTLS connections in general (whatever NSM handles), not just EWW. I
> couldn't find UI recommendations for mail clients, but from experience
> with a few they treat encryption problems as a high-priority dialog and
> interrupt the user experience until you say "OK, trust XYZ." Which is,
> again, not ideal for Emacs so we should find a nicer way to indicate
> problems without interrupting.

The other connections things are usually done interactively, so just
asking the user directly is more user-friendly.