Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:43:29 +0100

Bastien writes:
> I'm 100% with Glenn on this.
>
> In Org, we generate the ChangeLog from the Git history and I often
> wish we started by having a proper ChangeLog first.
>
> If ChangeLog files are generated, maintainers will have to edit lots
> of contributed commits manually before applying them -- this will be
> boring.

CEDET also generates Changelogs, and just recently I spent several hours
on a nice Sunday evening editing them, so I share your pain.  And yet,
I'm all for it. My hope is that this is the first step in getting rid of
the Changelog format altogether, and switching to commit messages that
value content over form.

-David

PS: Yeah I know, won't happen.