Re: How to switch Git branches with VC?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to switch Git branches with VC?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 20:39:54 +0200

> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:15:11 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It sounds like there's no command (except M-!) to do that.
>
> `C-x v r' works okay for this, at least with vc-git.

Thanks.

Talk about obfuscation: a command that's called "retrieve-tag" doesn't
retrieve anything and is normally unrelated to tags!

I pushed to the emacs-24 branch some documentation changes that should
serve as stopgap.  But I really think we should have a set of VC
commands that deal with branches: create them, switch to them, remove
them, etc.  That the command to switch to a branch and to an arbitrary
commit or tag is the same with some VCSes is sheer luck: other VCSes
don't fit in this scheme, and require different commands and different
options for them.