Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:21:51 -0500

> I'm all for it. My hope is that this is the first step in getting rid of
> the Changelog format altogether, and switching to commit messages that
> value content over form.

I'm not sure what other format you have in mind which would have
better content.

FWIW, I think an ideal commit message should look like:

    <location-summary> <change-summary>
    <explanation-if-needed>
    <bug-nb-if-applicable>
    <changelog-style details>

In most cases, the explanation will be empty because the bug-nb provides
the explanation or because the explanation can be placed in the code
instead (a better choice, when applicable).

        Stefan