Re: git commit/push and VC

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:06:26 +0200

> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:23:55 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>  > You are missing the point.  Switching the branch is easy, but after
>  > that, you'd almost always need a full bootstrap, which might become
>  > annoying.
>
> A bootstrap takes more than half an hour on my machines.

Are you using "make -jN"?  If not, I highly recommend trying that.  On
a Core i7 system, "make -j6" (if you have XP) or "make -j8" (Windows 7
and later) can work wonders on your build time.

> Having touched one C header file means that rebuilding takes almost
> 10 minutes here.

That's strange: compiling C sources is very fast, most of the
bootstrap time is spent compiling Lisp.  What kind of CPU do you have
there?

>  > I personally am working on both branches in parallel, yes.  Many
>  > others do, too.  Bugfixes go to one branch, new features to the other,
>  > people report bugs on this or other, etc.  Bootstrapping each time,
>  > which takes a couple of minutes, is annoying.  And then you sometimes
>  > want to compare what the two binaries, one from master, the other from
>  > the release branch, do in the same situation.
>
> This is my workflow as well.  Which doesn't exclude that git's branching
> concept might be useful even here.  Sometimes, at least.

Of course, it's useful: for branches that don't diverge too much from
the branch you fork off, like feature branches, for example.

> Among others, the switch to MSYS has made building on Windows slow down
> by a factor of two here (at least that's the impression I get).

If "make -jN" is not speedy enough, consider replacing your work disk
with an SSD.  The build will fly.

> I doubt that all Emacs users have suitable hardware that makes
> switching between master and Emacs-24 a feasible operation in one
> and the same clone.

For those who need to do that frequently, I agree.