Re: How do I clean up "might not be defined" wrnings?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: How do I clean up "might not be defined" wrnings?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:53:38 +0900

Eric S. Raymond writes:
 > Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>:
 > > address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
 > >
 > > > I've started a significant refactoring and simplification of the VC
 > > > code.  This has involved moving functions to different files, which is
 > > > causing "functions might not be defined" warnings.

Have you done a bootstrap?

 > > > What is the approved way to prevent these

None.  Most uses of declare-function are crocks committed by
criminally lazy programmers.[1]  IMHO FWIW and you have a right to my
opinion, which is invaluable. :-)

 > > > or clean them up?

As Lars says.  In particular, you should autoload the entry points,
and require libraries containing functions called by functions you are
defining.

Steve

Footnotes:
[1]  `declare-function' should be used only when the function might
not be available at runtime.