Re: git commit/push and VC

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 07:42:04 +0000

[…]

 >> Not necessarily, – you can just as well add the Git (or, rather,
 >> .git/objects) directory of your “other” clone to your current’s
 >> .git/objects/info/alternates, which will make the other clone’s
 >> commits available for any operation – including merge – on the
 >> current one.

 > OK, it's possible to avoid the copy/linking operations of fetch, but
 > you still need to do the merge in the current repo

        My understanding was that it was the intent.

 > (and typically pull the ref from the other repo).

        Refs are just human-readable aliases to the commit identifiers.
        It’s perfectly possible to merge in a branch using the latter.

 > There are also reasons why using alternates is not necessarily great
 > (especially for new users) -- eg, it means that rebase, commit
 > --amend, filter-branch, and so on can corrupt the dependent repo.

        Only if the objects comprising the original commit get deleted
        in the process; I’m unsure on what are the conditions to that.

        Otherwise, the objects are immutable, and the likes of --amend
        just create a brand new commit based on the given one; the
        latter being left intact.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A