Re: git commit/push and VC

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:22:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:01:26 +0200
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> > From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> > Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:43:16 +0100
>> >
>> > It records unresolved conflicts in the index where they are overwritten
>> > when doing git-add.  I haven't checked whether git commit -a will
>> > actually overwrite a conflicted index.  If it does, we don't want to
>> > recommend that error-prone workflow which is likely to record files with
>> > unresolved conflicts as resolved.  If it doesn't, git commit -a will not
>> > help.  smerge-mode, incidentally, adds the file in question
>> > automatically anyway after all conflicts are resolved.  So if "# resolve
>> > conflicts" implies use of smerge-mode, just git commit should be enough.
>>
>> Ah, okay, so we should mention smerge-mode there.  Thanks.
>
> What about non-content conflicts, though?  AFAIK, smerge-mode doesn't
> handle those, so "git add" might still be necessary?

"git add" is definitely the main way to add a resolution to the index
(though resolving a file changed in one branch and removed in another
might instead be done using "git rm").

That using smerge-mode will save you from manually doing that is worth
mentioning, but prescribing smerge-mode (and omitting mention of git
add) rather than recommending its use is definitely overdoing it.

--
David Kastrup