Re: Build is temporarily broken - my apologies

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Build is temporarily broken - my apologies
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 07:14:31 -0500

martin rudalics <address@hidden>:
> Without setting `inhibit-startup-echo-area-message' I don't get that
> error.  Getting a backtrace is difficult but I can construct one if
> you're interested.

I figured it out.  Some stuff I thought could move to the new file
lisp/vc-filewise.el needs to stay in vc-hooks because the various backend
functions that check whether a backend is responsible for a file need
the helpers to be loaded that early.  I've added a comment that describes
the problem (in my local feature branch).

I would have spotted this sooner but for at least two stages of load
file generation that made it look like the re-partitioning was OK but
turned out to be like Coyote running on thin air - doomed as soon as he
looks down...

Trunk build seems to be currently OK.  Am beavering away on a feature
branch now.