Re: My plans for VC mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: My plans for VC mode
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:11:42 -0500

> This is going to break out-of-tree back ends - not in any way that is
> fundamentally difficult to fix, but it will break them.  I've already had
> one polite complaint about that in email, but explained that we can't
> be stuck with the cruft and the previous design mistakes forever.

I'm fine with breaking backward compatibility.  But then please try to
find "all" the out-of-tree backends for Free revision control systems,
and then try to find their maintainer to get them in the loop.
If they're unmaintained, then we should post a message to the
corresponding revision system's mailing-list telling them about the
expected breakage.

If you're about to redesign the backend API, I'll take the opportunity
to include my pet wishitems for VC which I never got to address:
- async operation for most operations (including "commit" and "status").
- generic support for shelve/stash.

        Stefan