Re: My plans for VC mode

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: My plans for VC mode
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:37:07 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>:
> http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/diff-hl.html, for example, uses `vc-state',
> as well as `diff', `dir-status' and `dir-status-files', and relies on
> their current semantics (even if they're a bit broken in certain
> implementations; I intend to improve that).

vc-state is likely to surivive with unaltered semantics.  So is diff.

`dir-status' and `dir-status-files', on the other hand...there is a comment
in vc.el that reads:

    ;; - Another important thing: merge all the status-like backend operations.
    ;;   We should remove dir-status, state, and dir-status-files, and
    ;;   replace them with just `status' which takes a fileset and a
continuation
    ;;   (like dir-status) and returns a buffer in which the process(es) are run
    ;;   (or nil if it worked synchronously).

I think this is a good thing to aim at.