Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 05:46:32 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: David Engster <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 00:02:18 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I'm going to recommend on the Wiki that people who don't consider
> > themselves advanced/experienced Git users clone the repository twice,
> > in which case they most probably won't have a checkout of emacs-24 in
> > the clone where they work on master, and vice versa.
>
> >From previous discussion on this list, it seems like most people don't
> want to download the repository twice (or store two copies of it on
> disk), so they want a different workflow.
>
> It would be nice it it were possible to provide them with that.

There's any number of ways to handle this problem with Git.  We cannot
possibly describe all of them on the Wiki, not without confusing the
heck out of the reader.  Experienced Git users will be able to find
the way that suits them even without reading the Wiki.

In any case, I will mention git-new-workdir, which seems to be the
other popular method.  And there's always a possibility of changing
the recommendations in the future, if experience shows that changes
are needed.