DOM manipulation functions

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: DOM manipulation functions
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 16:18:24 +0100

As part of the TLS management thing, it was suggested that Emacs display
visually certificate fingerprints:

http://sebsauvage.net/wiki/doku.php?id=php:vizhash_gd

I've started looking into this, and it seems like this would be really
easy to implement as SVG images -- SVG provides all the primitives
vizhash needs.

SVG is basically an XML DOM, and while constructing these it would be a
lot easier if Emacs had a DOM manipulation library.

So here's my two questions:

1) Would it be OK if I added a DOM manipulation/searching library to
Emacs?

2) Due to stupidity on my part I disregarded Chong's advice on how to do
the DOM manipulation things in shr.el, so we now basically have two DOMs
in Emacs -- the xml.el one and the one that shr uses.

I think it would be a good idea if I rewrote shr.el to just use the
xml.el DOM, like Chong said back then.  This will break any third-party
code that relies on shr internals, though.

So: New dom.el, and rewrite shr/eww to depend on dom.el.

Stefan, does this sound OK to you?