Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:49:59 +0100

Steinar Bang writes:

>> It will always be able to merge origin/emacs-24. I guess you could set
>> things up to merge from a second, separate clone (by adding it as a
>> remote), but I don't see the need.
>
> You don't need a clone for this, just a local bare repo.

[...]

I know, but you have snipped the context. The problem was: what's the
most robust solution for people who want to have separate checkouts of
branches, but which is also (a) easy to setup, (b) works well on
Windows, and (c) is manageable for people without much git
experience. And the answer for this seems to be: create two separate
clones, and just live with the additional HD space this takes up. Then
Eli's question was whether gitmerge.el could merge from such a separate
clone, to which my answer was: I guess you could, but there's no need,
let's just merge the remote branch by default.

-David