Re: Stop fiddling with my preferences

From: Roland Lutz
Subject: Re: Stop fiddling with my preferences
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:45:24 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
See the NEWS excerpt below (although having such complaints from people
who clearly don't read NEWS is hardly an incentive to continue with
these efforts).

These instructions are helpful (I didn't know about the NEWS file at that
point) but they are missing `delete-active-region'.  Sure, it's documented
a few paragraphs above, but it doesn't say that it's enabled by default.

For electric-indent-mode, it says:

*** `electric-indent-mode' is now enabled by default.
Typing RET reindents the current line and indents the new line.
`C-j' inserts a newline but does not indent.  In some programming modes,
additional characters are electric (eg `{').

*** New buffer-local `electric-indent-local-mode'.

After a bit of confusion with the argument of electric-indent-mode (nil enabling the mode), I disabled it globally. However, this disabled all other electric characters, too. I couldn't find documented how to revert to the previous behavior where `{' is electric but RET isn't.

From the menu bar, click Options->Customize Emacs->New Options, and
you will be able to see all the options that were added or changed
since some Emacs version.

This doesn't help me here.