Re: Network security manager

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Network security manager
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 20:53:29 +0100

"Garreau, Alexandre" <address@hidden> writes:

> Unfortunately no, but there are several implementations, mainly in
> javascript, PHP, and, err, Java, as far as I know. But it’s quite simple
> and should be easily possible in any language where you can draw simple
> figures.
>
> The three I know:
> https://github.com/sebsauvage/VizHash/
> https://github.com/sametmax/VizHash.js
> https://github.com/inouire/VizHash4j
>
> I’d be really glad if someone found a way to do it with elisp… maybe
> using an external program?

It seems really easy to implement in Emacs Lisp + svg, so that's no
problem.  I've started implementing an SVG creation library.

However, I'm now looking at the algorithm this uses, and I notice:

 var hash = hex_sha1(text) + hex_md5(text);

I think the common reaction to seeing md5 being used for anything these
days is "err".  Although it's probably OK here, I wonder what's the
chance of this algorithm getting much uptake?  Has anybody started using
this?  Is there an RFC?