Testing the new VC code

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Testing the new VC code
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:03:56 -0500

Michael Albinus <address@hidden>:
> I do worry as well, because I do a lot of vc operations over a remote
> (Tramp) connection. Is there a chance to test your code, maybe even
> before it enters trunk?

I would be *delighted* to have you test it. Others should pile in as
well.  I can test thoroughly under git and RCS.  I'm not really
worried about any of the other back ends except CVS and SVN, but those
could be trouble spots.

Patch enclosed.  No warranties, I haven't done a lot of testing myself yet.

You will need to rebuild with a 'make bootstrap', as this alters vc-hooks.

Capabilities certainly not broken: git mode.

Capabilities only superficially changed and almost certainly not broken: arch,
bzr, hg, mtn, dav.

Capabilities changed significantly but seriously tested and almost certainly
not broken: RCS, except for RCS merging.

Probably OK, possibly broken, not well tested: CVS, SVN.

Most likely areas of breakage: File merging in RCS, CVS, and SVN.

Backends affected by removal of caching: SCCS, RCS, CVS, SVN.