Re: mac os x: how do you run emacs in-place?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: mac os x: how do you run emacs in-place?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:25:43 -0500

> * David Reitter <address@hidden> [2014-11-26 15:56:00 -0500]:
>
> On Nov 26, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Sam Steingold <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On a normal unix system one can run Emacs from the build directory as
>> "build/src/emacs", but it does not work on mac os.
>> Is there a way to run emacs without "make install” ?
>
> “make install” really just installs it into nextstep/Emacs.

I know.
and I don't want to use that, mostly because clicking on file names in
*Help* buffer finds the installed "el.gz" files instead of the files
under version control.

> only the first “make install” is necessary

this is not true because the executable is copied, not symlinked.

However, you gave me an idea:
I will go through nextstep/Emacs.app and replace files and directories
with symlinks back into the tree.

thanks!

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1343