Re: merging emacs-24

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: merging emacs-24
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 18:32:54 +0100

Ted Zlatanov writes:
> I don't think Git merges can work that way, though. They bring in the
> whole branch, you can't exclude some commits.

You cannot exclude them, but you can merge them with merge strategy
'ours'. That's what gitmerge.el does.

> You have to either cherry-pick the ones you want instead of merging,

Which defies the point of merging, of course.

> or revert the ones you don't want after merging.

That's cumbersome when those commits have conflicts, which is very
common since it is often the reason they should be skipped in the first
place.

> I can't believe I did that.  Sorry.  It's not harmful, but I was
> careless.  I've now added this alias to my gitconfig:

I think the easiest way to avoid this is to merge the remote branch
instead of the local tracking one.

-David