Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:58:27 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> My uni-confusables package in the GNU ELPA would help detect things like
> б (CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER BE) confused with the number 6.  The relevant
> line from confusables.txt is:
>
> 0431 ;        0036 ;  SL      # ( б → 6 ) CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER BE → DIGIT
> SIX        #
>
> which maps to (1073 "6") in `uni-confusables-char-table-single'. EWW and
> SHR could opportunistically use that table to highlight such characters.

Yes, and perhaps use that to do a "are you sure?" if a user tries to
visit https://𝐩𝐚𝐲𝐩𝐚𝐥.com or https://paypal.com.
But then uni-confusables should perhaps be moved from ELPA to Emacs so
that we can use it generally?

> I could also add RTL markers and other useful things to uni-confusables
> if you think it's the right place, and maybe provide the function for
> EWW and SHR and others to use when looking for suspicious characters. Or
> I could keep the package to a single purpose. I'm not sure of the right
> thing because this feels a little bit like core functionality.

Yeah, I think the RTL stuff sounds kinda like a separate issue that's
even more fundamental than the confusables, perhaps.