Re: ChangeLog dates

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ChangeLog dates
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:06:11 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 08:57:41 -0500
>
> EZ> Seen from the master's POV, keeping the dates from the original
> EZ> (branch) commits would be rewriting history, because the actual date
> EZ> the commits appeared on master are different.
>
> But the commit's date is "baked" into it by Git. So there's no "master"
> POV for commit dates, only for when the commits are accessible via
> "master" (and both dates are relevant, hence I suggested adding a note).

I'm not talking about Git's history, or accessing history through Git.
I'm talking about ChangeLog files looked at by people who have only
the release tarball (which is why we produce ChangeLog files).  They
don't have Git, they have just the ChangeLog files, and those
ChangeLog files should IMO reflect the ordered sequence of commits to
the branch from which the tarball was created.