Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:45:47 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 03:51:14 +0100
>
> Using right-to-left markers to do phishing and obscure URLs has gotten
> some attention on the webs today.  For instance, can you easily tell
> where the link below takes you if you click on it in Gnus and
> (presumably) rmail?
>
>      Works on URLs too.
>
>http://myspace.com/#/segami/moc.koobecaf//:sptth
>
> Unless I messed something up while cut'n'pasting that, you should see
> the problem.
>
> Now, should we do something about that?  And if so -- what?

It depends on what do we _want_ to do.  All I can do at this stage is
point to the relevant resources (which unfortunately are not helpful
enough IMO when it comes to recommendations for browser-type
applications that need to display such URLs without fooling users):

  http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr36/#Bidirectional_Text_Spoofing
  http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr39/
  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3987.txt