Re: merging emacs-24

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: merging emacs-24
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:14:57 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:37:32 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 19:28:22 -0500
> >>
> >> One request: maybe it could log what it does, especially the shell
> >> commands, a little better.
> >
> > It's actually something I sorely miss in Git itself: a full log of all
> > commands.  Bazaar has ~/.bzr.log, which over the years was invaluable
> > for tracking past problems and also my own mistakes (and mistakes made
> > by others) in using the tool.  I hope Git will get such a feature, or
> > maybe it already does.
>
> Have you tried "git reflog" ?

I'm actually using it all the time.  It's a misunderstanding if you
think "git reflog" is the answer to what I'm looking for.

~/.bzr.log shows:

  . every bzr command, including the date/time when it was issued
  . every message displayed by every command on the console, including
    for example received/transmitted statistics
  . additional messages, such as the branch on which the command was
    working
  . every error message, including Python backtrace
  . for pull/update/merge commands, the list of changes in the same
    format used by "bzr status" and "git status --short"
  . each record comes with a time stamp relative to the time the
    command was invoked

In addition, bzr automatically roll over the log file when it gets too
large.