Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:28:00 +0200

> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:09:51 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> There is no legitimate need for such URLs to "work."

Yes, there is.  Some bidirectional texts can be hard to read without
these control characters.

> Perhaps the Emacs programs that follow a URL
> should give an error if there is any special RTL flag character
> in the URL.  Or anything else strange or dangerous.

That'd be a mistake, IMO.  If we can detect unreasonable or suspicious
uses of these control characters (like when strictly left-to-right
text is included in a right-to-left override embedding), then we
should flag only those.